August 4–August 12, 2017
3 Riverwood Close SE
Most recent festival
28 participating companies
$70,000 returned to artists
Application and selection
$700 for regular indoor theatre
$500 for site specific venues
Lottery, First-come, First-served
50 to 220
Number of performances per show: 6 guaranteed performance time slots
Maximum ticket price: 15.00
Maximum show length: 90
The Calgary Fringe strives to offer Calgarians an opportunity to build community through the theatrical arts by offering inclusive and accessible arts programming that stress a broad-based, interdisciplinary approach to the arts, by fostering an environment of artistic freedom and expression. 100% unbiased. 100% unjured. 100% of all ticket revenue (excluding GST and ticketing surcharges) goes back to the artist.
Some additional facts about the Calgary Fringe:
- For the regular lottery draw, there are currently 22 theatre artist spots available. Our selection criteria is: 10 Southern Alberta (from Red Deer down), 6 National and 6 International.
- All of our Fringe venues are located in one neighbourhood, and is within easy walking distance between each other and our main box office tent. Median, or bell curve artist payout average, in 2016 is close to $ 2,500.
- Each Fringe artist receives 6 guaranteed performances during the 9 day Festival.
- There will be an opportunity for an additional bonus show added on the final Saturday if your show is selected as a Best of Venue winner of the Calgary Fringe.
- Concentration on more evening time slots during the week days, to maximize prime time slot availabilities for artists.
- Billeting services are provided at no extra cost to all traveling Fringe artists/companies (subject to available accommodations).
- Performers have an opportunity to see each others’ shows and, with peer support, can tighten their shows up before the Edmonton Fringe or other Fringe destinations on tour.